Quotes

"And I hope she's a fool. That's all a girl can be in this world- a beautiful, little fool" - Daisy Buchanan


Don't cling to things because everything is impermanent- Morrie

“You don't get to choose if you get hurt in this world...but you do have some say in who hurts you. I like my choices.” - John Greene


Monday, January 6, 2014

"The Fault in Our Stars" Part Two

There was one surprise in this novel that for some reason I really did not see coming and that was the death of Augustus Walters. For some reason I was lead to believe that Hazel would be the first because I thought she was more ill than Gus. But John Green fooled me and I'm going to be honest I was not very happy since I prepared myself for Hazel to pass away first. I do understand why he did that though because one he wanted to keep the reader interested . And two I believe that the element of surprise is a theme of this novel. Since it is about cancer patients, it would be acceptable for the theme to be about that because they live off a day to day basis. They never know when something will go terribly wrong or even terribly right. Also the ending of this novel I liked how Van Houten actually comes to Gus's funeral and tries to make things right. Also thought it was adorable how Gus tried to finish the novel Van Houten wrote before he or she passed away. It all mixes in with the theme of the element of surprise and how you just never know for sure how things in life are going to go or how they are going to end or even when they are going end. The way Gus and Hazel ended their conversations with "Okay" I thought was a nice touch too. I believe that it's much better than saying "forever" or even "bye" , but it is a reassuring word. That no matters what happens to them in the future they will be okay. Everything will be okay. And it shows that they believe that nothing lasts forever , but there isn't maybe a real "ending" to anything either. No "good-byes" or anything along those lines. Even though it's a small part of the novel I think it served a bigger purpose and it wrapped into the novel's over all point very nicely. I could honestly read this novel over and over again and I believe that is what I'll be doing tonight. Restarting "The Faults in Our Stars" by John Green.

1 comment:

  1. I love the new look of the blog. And Gus's death shocked me too. I don't know why I did not see it coming. I still liked the book, and felt good after I read it!

    ReplyDelete